Saturday, August 13, 2011

Raksha Bandhan





It’s just another lazy Saturday morning since I moved to Singapore. Like every other weekend, I find myself up at the peak of noon only to realize that there’s hardly any time left for the Sun to set and even lesser time for me to do something productive. I brush my teeth; fix myself a cup of coffee and park my ass in front of the laptop only to find that today is ‘Raksha Bandhan’.  

For those not familiar with this Indian tradition, it’s a day when the sister ties a “Rakhi” on her brother’s wrist. The Rakhi may be a mere piece of thread, however, it symbolizes the sister's love and prayers for her brother's well-being, and the brother's life-long vow to protect her from all the evil in the world; it symbolizes a sacred bond between the siblings which is considered as one of the strongest ties since ancient mythology.
When I was a kid, “Rakhi” would mean waking up early against my wishes; brushing my teeth and sitting in front my family (with eyes half shut), getting a Rakhi tied on my wrist, followed by exchange of sweets. I loved my sister then and I love her even more now, but the tradition took a lot of time to sink in.

As we became older, during college days, it meant getting up even earlier as my sister and I, both had to rush to our colleges to reach in time for our first lectures.  When we began working, it would be the same only that now I had started earning and could put some more effort in getting my sister a good present for Rakhi. It felt good to have been in a better position now. The feeling of being a brother was getting stronger. It was not just protecting her from bullies when we were kids, it had more meaning now – a meaning which can only be experienced by a brother.

My sister got married in 2008. She had a whole new life and thus, a whole new journey ahead of her. It was difficult to accept the fact that a person with whom you’ve shared your entire childhood, will no longer be in the same house. I knew there would be an empty space, a void, which can never be filled. The fights, arguments, differences of opinion - which have shaped both of us into what we are today - would no longer continue under the same roof.

We would meet each other but we would both be squeezed for time. She would usually come a day before Rakhi or on the eve of Rakhi to tie the sacred thread on my wrist. This was merely a tradition, for the bond has been established since birth. This was merely an excuse for siblings to get together and share their thoughts on what’s been going on in each other’s lives.

Unlike the maternal side of my family, we were a small family of four. My mother has three brothers and one sister. I was never really close to any of them. They never celebrated Raksha Bandhan or even bothered to exchange a phone call during the festival. It never really bothered me, but it always felt weird to see no real connection among them. I still remember my mother telling us when we were kids, to always love and cherish the bond of brother-sister. She never wanted us to drift away like the members of her family. I guess today I realize what she said about 15 years ago.

It’s been about 8months now, since I moved to Singapore for work. I’d last visited my family in Mumbai about five months ago. Three days ago I got a packet delivered to my office. I got a call from the staff telling me to come collect a packet which has come from Mumbai. These guys seemed to be more excited about “Mumbai” than I ever could be! I had expected this package ‘cos my mom and my sis are two impatient souls and had asked me over and over again, during the past phone calls, whether it was alright to send me a package at my office. Well, here it was, but I didn’t have a clue about its contents.

Being so long in Singapore, the only public holidays now known to me were of interest to people from neighboring nations! I was surprised to see that packet contained two Rakhees and a Book. I was speechless! Here I was, not really aware of which day of the month it was; and my sister, on the other hand, had planned for this, weeks ahead. I was humbled by the thoughtfulness of the gift I had received. The parcel also contained a letter addressed to me by my sister. It was one of the best gifts I have ever received and I shall cherish the same for the rest of my life.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful...I still have so much to learn. Thank you for sharing this with me brother! I too am learning as I get older the value and depth of meaning that family holds.
    Tara Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am touched...dunno wht to say...i miss you alot to!

    ReplyDelete